The reasons why we love "Wien Wien" might be the same reasons why we love movies like "Lost in Translation" or even some of "Garden State." It is the sense of displacement that is valuable in knowing and understanding what it means to be with others. Today there was an article abut Williams Syndrome in the NYTimes which is perhaps a writer's dream. People with Williams, a genetic disorder, almost appear to have no social inhibitions, have near normal language ability and are incredibly gregarious. However social situations and cues are opaque to them, leading them to find socializing both desirable and frustrating. (It's a inherited and inherent paradox).
This city alternates between being exasperating and refreshing. My friends can be guerrilla artists without being smug. I mean, I've met more artists here than I have in New York without even trying. Yet, the materialism, the landscape, and numerous cultural differences are difficult to adapt to.
Love you always,
Dianna
-----------
P.S. Apologies for my last post, the poem is rough, but be smoothed later.
No comments:
Post a Comment