It infuriates me when people think writing is so simple and easy. Perhaps the barrier to entry is low since most people who are literate also have command enough of the language to write and so in this regard writing is accessible and easy. Now the aesthetics and judgments of high/low literature or what even constitutes literature in the first place is another discussion entirely that I'm not equipped to discuss. I also find myself becoming sheepish now because I'm also making a distinction between "real" writing and "fake writing," which is fallacious. Anyway, this rant's incitement is this horrid article:
This is why I dislike physicians. He's operating on a completely antiquated paradigm of a narrative structure and narrator realiability.
2 comments:
film making, journalism, fiction, poetry, composing music--a doctor, and anyone else really, can do all these things! That's the call we hear from people trying to capitalize on this brave new world of ours... from websites for writers who want a community of non judgmental peers to video hosting sites for musicians and film makers who want a piece of the superstar world. Professionals in each of these fields have talked about the encroaching amateurs and the degradation of standards... this is obviously a complex phenomenon and I think it's not totally different from when television was invented, or the radio, or even early stages of the internet and computer graphics.
I think the distinction between real and fake writing, journalism, film making, or any other artform is pointless. The nature of culture is that it is bred both by the masses and the artists. To say that everyone is an artist is like saying everyone is special. Which is true ;)
And totally not true :)
I ended up commenting on that post you linked. Hehe.
Post a Comment