20070905

AHHHHH!

Today I had a chance encounter with SC, well two actually. It just so happens that she's a staff nurse at NYU for the next 5 weeks. During lunch I told her I was surprised she went through with becoming a nurse, since it never seemed like a profession she wanted to enter. It was strange as she tried to rationalize it--her parents are retired, it's a sound financial choice, she values the skill set she's gained, and she can and will do a lot of interesting things. This entire time her eyes deviated to the side, looking, but not, to the courtyard where many of the first year med students were eating lunch. Her reasons sounded rehearsed and it was as if she had told herself many times that "yes, this is the right choice and if not the right choice then a sound one," trying to convince herself through repetition. Do I sound that insincere?

No comments: