20061213

"What did one wall say to the other wall?"

Just finished two books this week, and somehow, felt disappointed by both. Admittedly, it is difficult to present punctuation as interesting, but this book seems to draw on too many threads: historical, anecdotal, didactic, and just frivolous, unsupported opinion. If I wanted to read almost 200 pages of someone's opinion about punctuation, well--I actually wouldn't ever want to, but here I have. Perhaps the language is too regionally specific for me to find it humorous, but many of the absurdities seemed forced, unnatural and underdeveloped. Truss doesn't seem to have a good hold on humour, or maybe it's just that it's too pendantic. However, terms like "wanker" and "berk" are a plus.

Although Salinger was demystified long ago for me (actually reading about his life and then reading a few of his early short stories was quite sufficient enough), this book buried him under six feet of dirt. I guess I've always felt that if something wasn't singular, if my experience was unique, then it really meant nothing at all. I mean, if it's reproducible, it might as well be part of some spectacle, mass-market, end-oriented, consumerist culture. Immature, naive--yes. What's awful is that I'm pretty sure Salinger is the one who planted this idea in my head in the first place. Some things so beautiful that they leave this indelible mark on your palms, like the ruffles of a yellow dress...that...that...I don't know. I'm too tired to think and I'm just pro (for) cras (tomorrow) tinating. Even though I've read better books and stories, there's something spell-binding about that former Upper East Sider. It's true, he's one of those few authors who make you feel like you were the first to discover him. Forget that his novels has been taught in most public schools for almost two generations. When I first read "Franny and Zooey," I said to myself, "yes, you were the very first and know one understands him better than you do."

More on "With Love and Squalor" (not the "We Are Scientists" album, but I would like to think that 'I am a Scientist') and "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" later.

Seems like my friends have been getting a lot of screen time--on youtube and otherwise. 37,000 hits: that's crazy. Malaysian Reality show: crazier.

Turns over like waves of black sheet-ice
bound together in unspecified, unmarked crystalline
sips from gap toothed grins.

I need to start writing again.
Sincerely.
Dearly,
Everly Clearly.

Saw Damien Rice again last night. Much better than first, now that I actually know who he is.

Less than three to elephants, P with H of Gs, and Remington typewriters (not guns).

No comments: