20061008

Okay, Fine

I can't take this obscurity any longer. Why do we do it? Is it in the name of good writing? No. It's because we're all cowardly and afraid. To make large claims using mixed metaphors and references to esoterica, it inflates our sense of ego, and panders to the idea that yes, we are singular, special and valuablely unique. So why do I say this? Why do I berate and roar? Because I am afraid. I live in my ivory tower on the umpteenth floor and I've forgotten what the ground looks like. What does the earth feel like? (Not in the nostalgic way, where "when I was a child I remember playing at XYZ playground and flailing all over the place). What are these excuses that we create for ourselves? Living in a coop in Central America, teaching English abroad and whatever else. That would be a great and noble endeavour (not in the least bit self-serving). There are other gifts much more valuable that you can bestow other than English, so who's benefiting more? If you're doing something for yourself, at least recognize it for what it is, instead of spotlighting its essence--all its messy entangled associated social/cultual realities. Listing of accomplishments, what does that add up to? A declaration of how awesome a person is? There is no calculus and I'm sure you won't be able to find one. Everyone is a dirty artist. Everyone is dualistic. It's from this dialectic that a person emerges, yes, right?

2 comments:

Sol said...

roaring engines, i smell gasoline and it smells good

Anonymous said...

i say we respect our wishes, our selfishness, and pay our debts where they are owed. fancy use of calculus by the way, haha.